Capital Planning Committee
Senior leadership body responsible for land use and capital investment decisions for the Berkeley campus
Chaired by the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost, the Capital Planning Committee and advises the Chancellor on campus land use decisions, capital investments, and project priorities. They assure that land use and capital investment decisions optimize the use of resources – both land and capital – to realize the campus vision for academic excellence and physical growth. The committee oversees the preparation of the campus Long Range Development Plan, the annual Capital Financial Plan, and oversees campus work with the City of Berkeley and other agencies on local plans that impact UC Berkeley. The Capital Planning Committee also oversees and formally approves the work of the Capital Renewal Committee and approves the annual Capital Renewal Program and funding levels.
Capital Planning Committee - Meetings and Membership
The committee meets monthly and is supported by staff in Capital Strategies, with active collaboration from staff in Finance and Capital Asset Strategies, Academic and Space Planning, Facilities Services, and University Development and Alumni Relations.
To contact the Capital Planning Committee, please email Judy Chess, Chief of Staff and Director of Capital Planning.
Current Member Roster
- Paul Alivisatos, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (CPC Chair)
- Lisa Alvarez-Cohen, Vice Provost, Academic Planning
- John Arvin, Associate Vice Chancellor, Capital Strategies
- Marc Fisher, Vice Chancellor, Administration
- Jennifer Johnson-Hanks, Professor, Department of Sociology, and Chair, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate's Academic Planning and Resource Allocation Committee (CAPRA)
- Julie Hooper, Vice Chancellor, University Development and Alumni Relations
- Randy Katz, Vice Chancellor, Research
- Rosemarie Rae, Vice Chancellor, Finance and Chief Financial Officer
- Barbara Spackman, Chair, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate
- Steve Sutton, Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs
- Jennifer Wolch, Dean, College of Environmental Design, and Chair, Design Review Committee
Design Review Committee
Provides advice to the campus architect regarding the design of university buildings and open spaces, as well as historic preservation
Members are appointed by the chancellor and include design professionals and faculty from the disciplines of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design and planning, and historic preservation. There are also two graduate student members from the Departments of Architecture and Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning, respectively. The graduate students are nominated by their departmental chairs. The dean of the College of Environmental Design chairs the Design Review Committee. The chair also sits on the Capital Planning Committee. The Design Review Committee meets once a month.